Thursday, March 17, 2011

Godspeed You! Black Emperor @ Terminal 5 NY 03/14/11.



This past weekend I went to New York to see Godspeed You! Black Emperor, a band I would label as post-rock (instrumental) who have basically been on hiatus since 2003. I was familiar with them beforehand, but my interest in them was never too strong. I had purchased the tickets at a gift to my boyfriend, who is a huge fan. My ticket options were limited, because by the time I found out tickets for this tour were on sale, they had all but sold out. The band added this show after the initial round of ticket sales, and I snatched up tickets. I will say that Terminal 5 is a pretty terrible place to see a show, especially considering this epically-scaled band went on to play in the Brooklyn Masonic Temple and the Church of St. Paul the Apostle later in the week. As a venue, going to Terminal 5 is like a seeing a band inside a three-floor garbage can. Anyway, GY!BE certainly made the most of it, and I think the experience has turned me from a casual listener into a fan. Visually, this show was far from disappointing. The band utilized projections through the duration of their 2-hour (!) set, something which they have traditionally done, which they say provide context for their wordless songs. Their songs also feature sound clips, from interviews which they have conducted. For a band without any real lyrics, it was helpful to have some frame of reference for their music.

I was stuck pretty far back in the crowd and didn't get to take any photos, but here are some videos from others--



No comments:

Post a Comment