Thursday, March 17, 2011

Adam Taylor @ Fuel Coffee Shop, New Haven.

I went to see my friend's brother's art show, "A Priori," in February, and I was glad I did. Adam Taylor is a painter, illustrator and sculptor whose main subjects seem to be deranged-looking half-cute/half-creepy children, and usually the kids are enjoying or lusting after some kind of sweets. His paintings were very tiny--most were no bigger than 6x6" or so. I enjoyed them a lot, but they were all lined up on the wall and the presentation of them wasn't very interesting or exciting. However, there's a limited amount of space to do anything in a coffee shop, so I'll chalk it up to that. It is difficult to see in the images on his website, but he used some kind of glossy paint or finish to make it look as though the children were crying, either tears of joy or sadness, and I thought that was really cool. I don't know a lot about painting materials or techniques, but I liked them a lot.

My favorite was a little girl watching a donut fly away with tears in her eyes.



Overall these were cute, funny, and not too serious. I liked his style.

No comments:

Post a Comment